AquacultureHub

An Aquaculture Community Site

Aquaculture research and implementation of results

For the last 10 years, I have been editing the Israeli Journal of Aquaculture - Bamidge hand as such have had the opportunity to read hundreds of articles that deal with a wide range of issues. Many of these deal with herbal medicine, fishmeal replacement, feed additives and others. The results of these researchers often provide interesting solutions to acute problems that concern fish health, disease treatment and general welfare of fish. I often wonder how many of these find their way to the ones who need them most, the farmers. On the one hand, the researchers don't usually address the economics that derives from the inclusion of the proposed additives and the commercial feed industries tend not to reveal the full list of components that they include in their products. So where does all this lead? It seems that unless a more practical approach to the implementation of research is adopted by all sides we will all keep on working in a very hazy environment.

Dan Mires (editor)

Israeli Journal of Aquaculture - Bamidge - an open access - free to all - scientific journal :)

Views: 375

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Dr Mires

Would you be able to help me with a question about Israel aquaculture please? In the FAO National Aquaculture Sector Overview on Israel (http://www.fao.org/fishery/countrysector/naso_israel/en), the HR statement is as follows:

"The aquaculture work force is a skilled one as a result of the highly technical nature of aquaculture in Israel. Most, if not all workers have a high school diploma (12 years) while a high percentage have a college degree (B.Sc. or M.Sc.). Women make up about 95 percent of the work force."

I am interested in whether the last sentence is correct please. I wish to quote it in a book chapter I am writing on gender in fisheries and aquaculture development.

With thanks for your views

Meryl Williams

Hi Meryl, I'm on vacation and could'nt answer earlier. As for your question, I was surprised to see their statement because it is not true. It should be 95% males and the rest women.

All the best

Hi Dan - yes, this makes more sense. When I looked on the web with a general search on Israel and aquaculture, the quick look at some links did not look as though it was all being done by women.

Many thanks

Meryl

There's a woman and a friend of mine named Victoria Kelley who runs Aquaponics Survival Communities, with a facebook page that has 17,000 members.  She is pushing hard for safer fish feed, and recently published an eBook about it.

A lot of us who grow using aquaponics are concerned about this.  If someone started marketing a better feed at less than double the cost of traditional, this community would market it very widely.

Jeremiah,

Please keep an eye on my posts (and my company DaoChi Energy of Arizona). We are working on obtaining government assistance to formulate a superior form of fishmeal blend at lower costs.  Please cross your fingers and wish us luck.

Sincerely,

Stafford "Doc" Williamson

Dan Mires,

I am so pleased to see your post on the need for getting the information to the fish farmers and farming operations that need it. My company is working, at this very minute, on a formulation of fishmeal replacement/complement.  I would very much appreciate hearing from you on exactly what kind of labeling information you would like to see on fishmeal substitutes or fishmeal blends that is the kind of nutritional breakdown(s), and/or additives.  We are being very cost conscious because clearly any other feed stands in competition with fishmeal (and fish oils) which have recently soared to nearly unsupportable costs, and we aim to improve upon the results of every nutritional dollar spent.  Your input would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Stafford "Doc" Williamson

Shalom Doc. Williamson,

Thank you for having joined in. Our journal, The Israeli journal of aquaculture-Bamidgeh will be happy to publish any article on applied methods regarding fishmeal substitutes in aquaculture as we have gladly be doing so far. For your information you can gain free access to all our archived articles by registering via our electronic submission from our site siamb.org.il. or our manual form. Once received you will receive our confirmation and then freely follow our articles.

I have consulted the magazine Bamideth for several years is a magnificent source of information,
could obtain data on reproduction of herbivora carp as well as preservation of semen in trout

RSS

Support AquacultureHub

AquacultureHub is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization​ with a mission to educate, learn, share & engage people in aquaculture

© 2017   Created by Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service